Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dungeons of Dredmore - Gaslamp Games - Indie Spotlight


     I remember playing Rogue on my pop's IBM 386 way back in 1989. My Dad didn't have windows then. He used a DOS based menu program called Menu Works. I can't even find screenshots of that on Google image search. Gaming on a PC was completely different in those days. Rogue, back in 1989 on my Dads PC, was the most in depth and complex game I had yet experienced. I played the hell out of it, and I still go back every couple of years to give it a spin for old time sake. Those warm memories set me up to really get into Dungeons of Dredmor in a big way.

     Dungeons of Dredmor is more of a Rogue-clone rather than a Rogue-like. The dungeons are randomly generated, everything is turn based, equipment is found on the fly, and the high score board is based on how much gold the player is holding. I have a problem with that because unlike Rogue, you can actually buy things
in this game so the amount of gold you have deep into the dungeon isn't always more than if you right away. On the up side, this is a really colorful game. The artwork is very cartoony; the monsters are particularly cartoony and cute so it tends to catch me off guard when I get slaughtered. Skills are also a prominent feature which makes the game feel a lot more like Desktop Dungeons rather than Rogue.

     On top of being an awesome game, Dungeons of Dredmor also features mod support. It's included in the steam workshop so mods can be installed with the click of a button, making them more accessible to those who may not care to figure out mod installation. Some of the mods available include extra skill trees, extra items, and varied comments from monsters.

     Overall, Dungeons of Dredmor is a colorful game with lots of replay value. It's easy to play, but difficult to win. It's got a wide item and crafting base and lots to look at. I would recommend this as a must have to anyone who was playing video games before 1990. For 5 bucks, you can’t go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment